Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The unexpected is the best.

We didn't stay in San Antonio for their biggest social event because I was going stir crazy. Mainly because after driving 2500 miles the scenery was still too similar to home. I was ready for some desert, some snow topped mountains, some anything but Texas. Luckily 500 miles of driving from San Antonio to Carlsbad N.M changed everything. This was the drive I was dreading because I had a mental picture of Texas of being flat and treeless but the drive had rolling hills, desert landscapes, mesa's, and until we left I-10 in Fort Stockton the drive was nothing like what I had expected.

We arrived in Carlsbad Cavern's National Park around 3:00pm and surprise surprise the cobb's were behind schedule so we had about 20 seconds to buy tickets, kennel kiwi, and get to the elevators for the 750 foot descent into the cave before the park closed. I have done some spelunking before and figured this would be the same old stalagmite, stalactite stuff, and it was in a way, but it was also just a great experience overall because of the self guided nature of the 2 mile cave hike and the incredible size of the cave's rooms. We were both so impressed I was trying to talk melissa into one of the more adventurous tours which required gloves, a headlamp and no knowledge of the movie "the descent" but unfortunately she is a bit claustrophobic. And because I did see the movie "the descent" we ended the day spending 3 hours waiting for a half million bats fly out of a cave.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

loving the sarcasm...did you get any pictures of the bats??